2017 National Puerto Rican Day Parade Celebrates 60 Years of cultural legacy with legendary honorees and legends-in-the-making! Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez, Chairperson of the National Puerto Rican Day Parade (NPRDP), alongside members of the Parade’s Board of Directors, announced plans for the 2017 Parade, its 60th Anniversary celebration on Sunday, June 11. Under the theme, “Un Pueblo, Muchas Voces” (One Nation, Many Voices), the 2017 Parade and associated events will advance the Parade’s mission of promoting culture, art and education in the Puerto Rican community, both on the Island and the mainland U.S.
The honored Puerto Rican pueblo (town) will be Hormigueros, a rural municipality in Southwest Puerto Rico. Additionally, Lorain and Cleveland, Ohio will be the honored stateside community, in recognition of the robust Puerto Rican population that represents more than half (55%) of the Ohio’s Puerto Rican population, the tenth largest among all States.
This year, the NPRDP fulfills its goal of awarding 100 scholarships, the largest number of scholarships in its history and a 20-fold increase since 2013, when the organization awarded 5 scholarships. Each scholarship is in the amount of $2,000 and will be awarded to exceptional students of Puerto Rican descent who are making a difference in their communities. The number of applications received in 2017 was more than triple the number submitted last year, with students representing 17 states and Puerto Rico. Winners will be announced at the NPRDP Education Leadership Awards on May 25th at Time Warner Center in New York City.
Board member Louis Maldonado with Honoree Laurie Hernández:
Announcement of 2017 Honorees:
In addition to the announcements of Lana Parilla as Queen, Ivan Rodríguez as Padrino (Godfather), and Laurie Hernández as Athlete of the Year, the NPRDP Board announced additional 2017 honorees:
- Grand Marshal: Gilberto Santa Rosa – GRAMMY® Award-winning singer, actor and producer
- Madrina (Godmother): Iris Chacón – TV and stage entertainer
- Lifetime Achievement in TV & Entertainment: Walter Mercado– iconic TV actor and personality
- Lifetime Achievement in Music: Bobby Cruz – salsa singer from Hormigueros and recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Latin Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
- Lifetime Achievement in Performing Arts: Julio Monge – choreographer, actor and director
- Special Recognition: the Puerto Rican National Baseball Team (“Team Rubio”) – finalists at the 2017 World Baseball Classic
- Trailblazer in Music & Arts: Yandel (LLandel Veguilla Malavé) – GRAMMY® Award-winning singer/songwriter and producer
- Athlete of the Year: Mónica Puig – tennis champion at 2016 Rio Olympics and first Olympic Gold Medalist for Puerto Rico
- Ambassador: Ana Isabelle – singer and actress in theater, television and film
- Ambassador: Modesto Lacen – actor in television, film and stage
- Nuestro Orgullo: W. Cortés – actor in Gotham, U.S. Marine combat veteran
- Rising Star: Ozuna (Juan Carlos Ozuna Rosado) – singer, songwriter and producer
- Rising Star: Rolando Alejandro – classical pianist
- Ambassador: Shalím Ortiz – television and stage actor and singer
- Ambassador: Ismael Rivera, Jr. – salsa singer and son of the late Ismael Rivera
- Ambassador: Ektor Rivera – singer and actor, star of Broadway’s “On Your Feet”
- Ambassador: Allan Villafaña – co-anchor, Primera Edición on Telemundo 47/WNJU
- Ambassador: Ricardo Luis Villarini – reporter for Telemundo 47/WNJU
- Boricuas Destacados: BuscaBulla (Raquel Berrios and Luis Alfredo del Valle) musical duo highlighted by Rolling Stone Magazine in February 2017 as “10 Artists you need to Know”
Queen of the Parade Lana Parrilla:
The 60th Annual National Puerto Rican Day Parade will be held on New York City’s Fifth Avenue from 44th Street to 79th Street, on Sunday, June 11, starting at 11:00 am (EST). The event will be aired live via WABC-TV, Channel 7 in New York, as well as through its affiliates in Orlando, Florida on WFTV/WRDQ, and in Puerto Rico ABC5 (WORA-TV 5.2), from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm (EST). Live streaming on the Internet will be available at www.abc7ny.com.
Applications for participating in the in the 2017 National Puerto Rican Day Parade are due on May 12. For participant applications, more information about the Parade and a calendar of events, visit www.nprdpinc.org.
King of the Parade: Gilberto Santarosa